When you take a bite of this delectable slice you will fall in love with the chewy choc base and the “not too sweet” coconut filling which is topped nicely with a thin layer of dark chocolate.
With Christmas just around the corner you may be starting to think of yummy desserts that you can make for Christmas day- this is a perfect solution. The No Bake Chocolate and Coconut slice is gluten, dairy free and is made with whole food ingredients. You can also make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer, which is a huge win when you are trying to juggle everything that is on your (seemingly never ending) to-do list during this crazy time of year.
What you need:
½ cup of cashews
½ cup of almonds
1 cup of organic desiccated coconut
6 medjool dates
1 tablespoon cacao powder
4 cups organic desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons raw honey or rice malt syrup
2 tablespoons coconut milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
I prefer to use raw chocolate, as many of the brands you can buy are made only with 100% real ingredients and contain no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. You can buy raw chocolate from health food shops or you can make your own (recipe coming soon). Alternatively you can use 80% dark chocolate as this is usually dairy free – just check the ingredients list. 100 grams will be enough to thinly coat the slice.
What you need to do:
- In a high powered blender or food processor, blend base ingredients until smooth and well combined. (The consistency should clump together when pressed but still break apart easily, if it is too crumbly just add a few more dates, as your dates may be a little dry. Alternatively soak your dates prior to blending.)
- Press evenly into a loaf tin that has been lined with baking paper.
- Pop in freezer to set for 10-15minutes.
- Blend middle layer until smooth and well combined. (The consistency should clump together when pressed but still break apart easily. If it is too dry, add another tablespoon of coconut milk.)
- Take base out of freezer and press the middle layer evenly over the base, pop into the fridge while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt desired amount of chocolate in a small saucepan on a low heat.
- Take slice out if the fridge, lift it out of the loaf tin and onto a chopping board and slice into desired portions with a sharp knife.
- Top with melted chocolate and place in fridge to set
- Once chocolate is hard take out of fridge and serve.