I know I have been making so many sweet treats for the blog lately (lets blame the pregnancy cravings) :P…. I just wanted to let you know, I plan on sharing more whole food recipes for lunches and dinners very soon (think colourful salads and nothing but simple easy to make healthy dishes) but I just could not resist sharing this beautiful recipe. This slice is very easy to make but beware it is super addictive, so you may need to restrain yourself from eating the whole slice in one go!
I have been craving chocolate so much in the later stage of this pregnancy and I love that I can easily create such a simple healthy alternative that kicks the cravings to the curb. I store a few batches in the freezer so that I can easily grab one when I am on the go as a quick source of energy.
½ cup organic desiccated coconut
1 cup rolled oats (preferably a gluten free brand, alternatively you can substitute with an extra cup of desiccated coconut)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
4 medjool dates
1 tablespoon cacao powder
½ teaspoon of natural vanilla extract
½ cup cashews (soaked for 2 hours in water and drained)
½ cup medjool dates soaked in ¼ cup of water for 2 hours but NOT drained
1 cup organic desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1 teaspoon Natural vanilla extract
¼ cup cacao powder
What you need to do:
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper
- In a high powered blender or food processor blend the rolled oats and desiccated coconut for 1 minute or until they are ground down
- Add remaining base ingredients and blend until well combined
- Press evenly into the prepared loaf tin. If you find that the consistency is too dry add some more coconut oil and blend again.
- Set in fridge.
- There is no need to wash the blender or food processor, add topping ingredients and blend together until well combined
- Using a spoon, spread the mixture over the base as evenly as possible. It is quite a sticky mixture, so just do the best you can.
- Set in freezer for 1 hour and then slice into squares.
- Store in fridge for 1 week or freezer if you would like to store it for longer(if it lasts that long)
- Enjoy xx